Sunday, June 30, 2013

Hung by a Broken Limb

Beautiful Creatures (2013) Poster

Reprint: 25 April 2013

I just saw Beautiful Creatures. I know this is a bit late, the movie has been out for a bit. However I am seldom in the mood to see a film, but this was an occasion. I think I've not recently seen a more offensive movie. The movie and I can only assume the book it was adapted from, begin by portraying every Christian in the south as an ignorant, bigoted, superstitious and powerless fraud.
This is juxtaposed against the sophistication, arrogance, hostility and chauvinism of the Casters, which is justified in light of the fact that the Casters are a superior race with real power that must be hidden to avoid persecution. Sound like the Hale Bop Comet Cult? Yeah it kinda does, only with creepy vines and freakish weather.
The entire story is designed to embitter the pagan against Bible based religions and to encourage insularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment